The City Mission exists to share the passion of Jesus Christ with the needy and homeless by providing compassionate care through meeting their physical and spiritual needs.
History of the Mission.
The City Mission Rescue Home was established in 1934 by Mary P. Carman, who directed the Mission for 39 years. Her purpose in founding the Mission was to offer temporary lodging, food, clothing, and shoes to all who were in need. Following Mary’s retirement in 1973, Rev. Robert Riker tried to re-establish the work but was not successful.
In December of 1974, the Rev. Mabel Lee reopened the Mission and served as Director for eight years. Mabel Lee is credited with starting the first domestic violence shelter in Findlay as a part of the Mission’s outreach. She was also a part of the task force which established Findlay’s domestic violence shelter, Open Arms.
Since 1982 five different couples have served as Directors. The Mission has always had at least one ordained minister on staff. The City Mission has been housed at several locations over the years. The first Mission building, Mary Carman’s home at 200 West Hardin, is no longer in existence, but other locations remain.
The second location at 608 Putnam Street served the Mission from the early 50’s until 1975, when Church Women United sponsored a door-to-door fundraising campaign to purchase a larger property at 228 North Main Street. The North Main Street property was chosen because it had a sanctuary for worship services. It was a large, two building facility which could accommodate many more residents, but having two separate buildings created problems.
The present City Mission was acquired in 1979 because a single building facility made it easier to monitor the security of the quarters and the residents at night. In order to gain security, it was necessary to sacrifice size. In 1998 a new addition was added to the City Mission which gave the Mission much needed room for dorms, a kitchen, and a dining room.
Since 1998, the City Mission has seen an increase in men, women, and families seeking both emergency shelter and longer term stays in order to establish employment and find permanent housing. The City Mission now provides three meals a day to Residents who are utilizing our Day Center, established in 2010, to seek employment and housing. The Mission also continues to serve the needy of the community though evening meals, seven days a week, and twice weekly food box handouts. Due to the growing need in space, services, and resources, the City Mission launched its Capital Campaign in 2011 to raise much needed funding for expansion.
Sheltering the homeless since 1934.
510 West Main Cross
The City Mission of Findlay is a proud member of the following organizations:
Association of Gospel Rescue Missions, Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, Findlay Hancock Chamber of Commerce, and The Better Business Bureau
*The pictures and names of the homeless, unless specifically noted, are not of local homeless people.
This organization is tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is eligible to receive contributions deductible as charitable donations for federal income tax purposes.